I recently returned from a 14-day excursion to Europe. Leading up to the trip, I couldn’t have been more excited for the much needed getaway. But like any trip that skips across the pond, there was a long flight involved. I admire the travelers who can sleep the entire ride or snuggle up with a good book and not get one bit antsy from their anticipation of globe trotting. If I’m lucky I’ll sleep 2-3 hours and the rest of the flight I’m left sitting there wide-eyed.
Fortunately, over the last few years I’ve learned a thing or two about making it through international flights with ease.
Here’s a list of the travel essentials I rely on for a relaxing, healthy trip through the air:
- Carry on - A good, sturdy carry on is essential to any international flight. Pack your carry on with a change of clothes and any necessities in case you end up being a victim to lost luggage. Take it from me, who ugly cried in the bathroom after arriving in Rome, luggageless a few years back.
- Tote - Bringing a tote as your personal item is not only fashionable, but also easily stores your belongings and makes them accessible throughout the flight. Luckily, this one is reversible and can be used with a number of outfits once you arrive at your destination.
- Eye Mask - An eye mask is entirely necessary to get a wink of sleep on a long, busy flight. Avoid open windows and bright reading lights with this cute and cozy one.
Electronics + Entertainment
- iPad Pro - Like any workaholic, I enjoy catching up on emails and crossing other work to-do’s off my list while in the air. My iPad Pro allows me to do this without the hassle of lugging around a full laptop.
- iPhone + Charger - When the flight finally lands at my destination, a charged phone is my lifeline to getting where i’m going and making necessary accommodations.
- Headphones - Whether it’s shutting out an overly chatty seatmate, a crying baby a few rows ahead or just the need to binge-watch Netflix - headphones are a must.
- A Good Read - There is no better time to catch up on reading than on a 10+ hour flight. Looking for recommendations? Check out our top five favorite Girlboss reads.
- Gum - Gum can help usher anyone through the ear-popping of takeoff and landing...and considering the close quarters of airplanes, having fresh smelling breath will do you and everyone around you a favor.
- Granola Bars - Often times, airplane food can leave a lot to be desired. Having a granola bar handy in your bag will save you in times of hunger until you reach your destination.
- Water Bottle - Bringing a water bottle on your flight allows you to stay hydrated without relying on the beverage cart to pass before you can quench your thirst.
- Scarf - A good blanket scarf can serve as a statement piece to your airport outfit and then double as a blanket for the chilly flight, yet be easily tucked away when not needed.
- Makeup Bag - Long flights oftentimes tire people out. Bring a makeup bag and freshen up during a quick bathroom break or when you land at your destination. Your selfies will thank you.
Looking for other tips and tricks to traveling? Check out our post “How to Travel like a #Bosslady.”