The Revel Beauties made our first-ever pilgrimage to New York City last month for Indie Beauty Expo NYC. The Expo showcased hundreds of the top independently-owned beauty, skincare and cosmetics brands from around the country all under one roof. We met with dozens of brand founders and learned about incredible origin stories, unique ingredients, proprietary approaches and product benefits. In our tour of #indiebeauty, we rediscovered some classic staples and uncovered some entirely new trends in the making. Below are a few highlights from the show that are quickly becoming the next big thing!
1. Food and Face. We’ve been inundated with messaging about superfoods and the benefits they have on our bodies. Now the industry is taking it to the next level by including superfood ingredients in beauty and skincare lines. The logic? What you put on your body is just as important as what you put in it. Good skin happens from the inside out, but there’s no harm in working both sides at once! Some of our faves include YAYA Organics Triple Berry Exfoliating Cleanser, C&Co’s Chamomile and Oats Clay Facial Mask or Luk Beautifood’s Nude Cinnamon Lip Nourish lipstick.
2. Curing with Crystals. Crystals have been an age-old tradition for healing, positive energy and balance. But recently, we’ve started seeing them in beauty and skin care brands as well. Check out our blog post for the lowdown on some of our favorite crystal beauty products.
3. To Dew or Not To Dew. Thanks to Glossier, everyone wants dewy, glossy skin. Brands are catching onto this and upping the hydration ante one moisturizing cream after another. It’s now OK to look like you just got done with an intense yoga class, and in fact that healthy glow is highly sought after. We’re personally fans of this trend and brands like Yasou Skin Care, whose products help accomplish this moisturizing glow.
4. Gentlemen Grooming Galore. Women have been in the beauty game for ages, so it only makes sense that our furrier counterparts want to get in on the action, too. It’s not a new revolution, but it has definitely gained momentum this year with luxury brands like For Big Boys and 18.21 Man Made, making it posh to take care of yourself. Now go get your man a delicious new skincare regimen, you’re welcome.
5. Going Au Naturale with Deodorant. For us, it’s always been important to balance natural ingredients with products that actually work. And when it comes to our own … musk… this is an important topic. We’ve read the headlines about Alzheimer’s-inducing aluminum and other nasty potential effects, and try our best to steer clear of these things. But on the other hand, we want products that will actually do the trick! Thanks to modern technology and age-old ingredients, brands like La Vanila and Cleo&Coco Charcoal Deodorant Stick have actually found a way to marry good-for-you ingredients with results. We are all thankful.
6. A New Taste of Paste. The concept of toothpaste is a little long in the tooth, if you know what we mean. So it was about time someone turned a boring concept like toothpaste into something sexy and mysterious! Brands like My Magic Mud and Lebon have reinvented this category by making natural toothpaste exciting and effective. Now you just have to get over the shock of a black mouth and your pearly whites will never be the same.
7. The Cool Kids Do Cannabis. Cannabis and CBD oil as beauty ingredients have become a smoking hot trend these days, but it’s hard to tell if it’ll burn out soon. Touting therapeutic benefits like inflammation reduction and high amounts of antioxidants and antibacterial properties, it sounds like a great idea. We just can’t get over the fact that our skin routine makes us smell like we just...you know. If you wanna give this trend a try, check out CBD for Life Lip Balm or Crave Virgin Skin Serum.
Things that are sticking around:
8. Korean Beauty. Coming in hot! It’s hard to deny that K-Beauty is blowing up. From unique ingredients like rice-based Reise Skin Care to luxury dewy-lines like Ogana Cell, you can’t ignore what our friends to the east are doing. And boasting an $11 billion dollar beauty industry, they must know a thing or two about it. We’re excited to see what other brands make their way here.
9. Facial Oils. These have been around the block a bit, but we just can’t seem to shake them. Facial oils as moisturizers have been in use for some time, but we’re just starting to see a trend in oil cleansers, like Olive + M Cleansing Oil. We think these guys are here to stay for awhile.
10. Sheet Masks. It seems that every brand is producing its own version of a sheet mask now, and we can get behind that! It’s a quick and convenient way to add a little something extra to your weekly beauty regimen. Whether you need an acne-fighting punch or a double dose of moisture, there’s a sheet mask for everyone! One of our faves is Seoul Mamas Revitalizing Mask. With such gorgeous branding, it also makes the perfect gift for holidays, girls’ weekend or bridal parties!
On the horizon:
11. Color. Obviously always been a thing, but typically harder to accomplish in indie and green brands. But brands have managed to create formulas with great payoff that look just like their chemically, corporate counterparts. Watch out for great things coming from all-natural lines like Mineral Fusion Sheer Moisture Lip Tint and Au Naturale Cosmetics Anywhere Cream Blush Stick.
12. Location. It’s no big secret that people have varying types of skin and thus needs. But what if weather, and where you live, played a role in what your skin needed? I know for one that skiing in the Rockies dries me the F out, so it only makes sense that I use a skincare line that’s tailored to these climate changes. Watch for brands like Pour Moi to take this concept to the next level!